Thursday, September 15, 2005

Thrown Out

For over a year and a half I have been going to the Health and Wellness Institute run by the YWCA. Yesterday I received a letter announcing that the non-profit was closing the fitness center, gym and pool. Members with time remaining on their contracts could contact the YMCA and transfer their membership. Those who paid in advance could receive a refund. Very sorry, exhausted all options, end of story.

I am sick at heart. For myself yes, but also for my fellow members. Although I am not the most social of people, the routine of seeing the same women week in and week out was familiar and comforting. All types of women came to the gym. Young, elderly, fit and infirm. African-American, White, Christian, Jewish and Muslim. What will happen to them?

No comments:

Post a Comment