Thursday, September 07, 2006

I Swear

that if I see ONE MORE photograph of Eli and Payton Manning that has absolutely NOTHING to do with football, I may have to vomit.

The mayor's funeral is today. The procession will be going through downtown during my lunch hour. I wonder if it will stop in front of the Starbucks in Market Square he used to frequent?

My one encounter with Bob O'Connor was in that Starbucks. I had a grande skim chai and pastry in my hands and was headed out the door when a man darted in front of me to kneel at one of the tables. I nearly ran over him.

It was only after I left that I realized why there had been two City Police officers hanging out in the store, and it was not for the coffee.

1 comment:

  1. Huh. So...why was Hizzoner kneeling at one of the tables? Benediction? Shoelace untied? Lose a contact lens, maybe? I don't Starbuck's much -- coffee's cheaper, quicker and better at the Scottish place -- so for all I know it's some interesting Starbuck's custom.

    Speaking of colliding with politicians, that reminded me:

    Once upon a time, my home state's governor's youngest son was on the same Little League team as my son. (Come to think of it, they went to the same public grammar school, too -- no private school for these kids!) The Guv would show up with his boy (or more rarely the family "nanny," a SLED agent who was also the kids' semiofficial bodyguard/babysitter -- kind of young, funny as hell, and a great gal -- would bring him) along with whatever other family members could make the scene, accompanied by two plainclothes SLED guys who were actually pretty friendly and courteous, considering they were standing around in suits & ties in ninety-degree weather.

    It got to where the Guv and I were like, "Hey, man, how's your week been?" although I usually knew a little about his already. The awe faded pretty quickly.

    When he asked what I did for a living, I said "A technical writer -- in other words, a professional explainer. Most people have no friggin' clue what that is!" "Oh, I understand! Most people in my line of work seem to have no idea what I actually do and don't do, either," he chuckled.

    ReplyDelete