Monday, November 17, 2008

I Cave

And go vain for one post. Because I've got nothing else to talk about right now. The temperature went from sixty to thirty overnight and there is snow on the ground.

I intentionally went shopping in a mall on Sunday. One of those old fashioned enclosed structures that sells overpriced goods and services. I was lured. Because this was no ordinary mall. This was the mall of high end shops extraordinaire. Nordstrom's, Kate Spade, Burberry and Tiffany's. Yes, a Tiffany's in a suburban Pittsburgh mall!

It was the promise of a merino and model blend sweater (on sale!) from Martin + Osa, and a well fitting undergarment (most emphatically not on sale) from Nordstrom's that lured me in. The scent of fresh Louie Vuitton leather, a comfortable overpriced beanbag chair from LoveSac (The BigOne is large enough to use as a bed), the sparkling diamonds at Tiffany's.

I tried on clothes. I wandered. I spent too much money on unmentionables. I resisted Godiva chocolates and factory cheesecake. It felt like a vacation.

It was a vacation of sorts, as I try to spend as little time as possible in malls. I exclude the cutting of my hair at a Regis salon in the mall near my home because A. I get my hair cut far less often then the industry standard of every six weeks, B. Regis is less expensive then the majority of independent stylists in the Pittsburgh area and C. I've had my hair done at Regis salons in cities all over the United States and had a positive experience at every single one of them. Which I can not say about a certain Pittsburgh based chain who consistently and without fail butchered my hair every single time I visited. The final straw cut was so awful that I walked into a Regis the next day and paid full price for a stylist to fix it.

And when I was finished, I got in my car and drove across town during the Steelers game. Because as any self-respecting resident of this city knows, the best time to go anywhere in the city and get there quickly is during a Steelers home game. Although a true Pittsburgh resident would not be running errands. They would be glued to their television or freezing in their nosebleed seats at Heinz Field.

1 comment:

  1. I love going to museums in the Dallas area during a Cowboys game . . . emptiest places ever!

    ReplyDelete