Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Changes

I ordered my new laptop yesterday.

I ordered a 14" iBook G4/1.42GHz, 1GB memory/100GB hard drive, OS Tiger 10.4. I could not purchase it at the Apple store (More on that experience in a minute) because of the larger hard drive.

Because of the nature of my employment I have used Macintosh computers more frequently over the past two years. I have come to respect the design and function of Apple's machines enough that I have been lusting after one for over a year.

What I was not impressed by was my experience at the Apple Store. I blame 85% of the negative experience on a group of men who somehow managed to take up 3 of the 5 members of the floor staff, even though only 1 of them was actually purchasing a computer. I blame the other 15% on poor training and scheduling, as the ability to extricate oneself from a mob is a necessity and proper scheduling is a must when working in sales. It took an hour to corner a harried, but cultishly friendly salesperson, and discover that they could not put a new hard drive in at the store. More memory? Yes. Larger hard drive? No?

Home we went. The next morning I took a deep breath and placed my order. My current machine, a trusty and highly functioning IBM Thinkpad A31 will be cleared of it's 20GB of music and turned over to my husband. Although I am reserving the right to claim it back occasionally to play "The Sims" until I get a Windows emulator set up on the new machine.

Now I wait. A week seems like a long time right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment