Sunday, April 09, 2006

Sick Day Part II

I'm starting to view The Flu as some alien entity that has invaded my body and is slowly taking over the pieces of my life. I woke at 11:30am this morning, and felt simultaneously like I had fallen through the rabbit hole and risen from the dead. This week I have entered a state that I call “sick sleep” in which I slumber hard for several hours, not moving, and wake still feeling like, well, crap.

My dreams have been intriguing. This morning's dream included a vampire, a bunch of teenagers (including a pair of indentical twins), magical robes, the bending of time and the ability to kill the vampire using balls of cornstarch. I wish I could write a script. I think it would make a fantastic horror movie, which I would never watch.

I have not been able to keep up with the news at all, and so many interesting things have been happening. Tom Delay resigns, Cynthia McKinney “assaults” a member of the Capital Police for manhandling her. Tonya Kach reappears as a grown adult after disappearing 10 years ago.

Commentary
  • Tom Delay resigns: About damn time. I'm looking forward to the news headline “Tom Delay convicted”.
  • Cynthia McKinney “assaults” a member of the Capital Police for manhandling her: She apologized, the police officer apologized. Apparently she gets stopped more often then other members of Congress. She did have the appropriate ID. And yes, if some man laid a hand on me, I would probably react violently also. And yes, I agree if it had been a white male, the police officer would have been painted as the aggressor.
  • Tonya Kach reappears as a grown adult after disappearing 10 years ago: Very strange, very sad story. Troubled teenage girl runs away, is held as an emotional hostage for ten years only a few miles from her home. From what I have read it appears that no one, her parents, the police or the media, really cared until years after her disappearance.
There is a great article in today's Post Gazette about the emergence of coffee houses in Pittsburgh neighborhoods. Can a brave soul put one in my neighborhood, please.

I received a $300.00 travel voucher for my three-year work anniversary. I'm looking for ideas on where to go to spend the money.

1 comment:

  1. Ooh, nice gift from the workplace! Have you considered Santa Fe? With a rental car, one can explore all of northern New Mexico (my favorite part) and have a really lovely time. The visit could include Indian reservations, art galleries, excellent food, clear and sparkly air, the D.H. Lawrence estate and memorial, lovely Cimarron, mule deer and all the wonderful people who are New Mexicans.

    ReplyDelete