Friday, November 17, 2006

True Horrors of Manhood

In which I somehow manage to link:
  1. O.J. Simpson,
  2. a 105.9 DJ who goes by the moniker of "Grimm", and
  3. Dr. Erik Keroack
together into a coherent post.

I was not planning to comment on the publication of O.J. Simpson's book If I Did It or the two-part interview airing on Fox later this month. But last night I heard something spectacularly offensive on the radio and I can not let it pass.

105.9 "the X" has a night time DJ by the name of "Grimm" who enjoys throwing verbal bombs out at the listening audience. He prides himself being what he terms as "politically incorrect" under the guise that he can say any atrocious thing he wants. He is correct. He is entitled to say whatever he wants as long as it does not attract the attention of the FCC.

Grimm keeps a low profile. No profile, no photographs, nothing to give away his real identity on the station's website. I'm sure that I could find some information if I took the time to look, but after thinking about it I realized that he is not worth the energy.

Last night "Grimm" was discussing the furor over the book/interview and making general fun of that segment of the population who found the idea of an acquitted murderer making a profit off of the death of the two people he slaughtered reprehensible. I was mostly tuning him out when I heard him say "the bitch and her boyfriend deserved what they got".

I should not have been surprised by this. I was, but I should not have been. There seems to have been an increase in this type of rhetoric over the past several years against women in general. You know, because we have to nerve to walk away from relationships that are not working for whatever reason (in the case of Nicole Brown Simpson, abuse) and move on with our lives and yes, even enjoy sex with men we are not married to.

After all, we are living in a world where the Bush administration thinks appointing Dr. Erik Keroack to the post of deputy assistant secretary of population affairs is a good idea.

Dr. Keroack is an anti-contraception, vocal advocate of abstinence education who believes that men and women (but mostly women, let's be honest here) with multiple sexual partners have more difficulty maintaining a permanent emotional connection because they "use up" their stores of oxytocin.

Of course! The difficulties in maintaining an intimate, long-term relationship are not caused by the internal forces of two personalities trying to live with each other on a day-to-day basis OR the external forces of friends, family, work, boredom...

It is because I had sex with too many men! If only I had known that the key to having an easier relationship was to remain a virgin until I was married!

I feel so secure these days with all these highly intelligent men passing commentary on how I and other American women conduct our personal affairs. Who better to dissect my actions than a man who beat, then killed his wife for leaving him*, a DJ who labels the murdered wife a "bitch" for leaving her husband and dating other men, and a doctor who would blame any relationship problems I experience on my "promiscuity" as a single woman?


* I am well aware that Simpson was acquitted of all charges. I still think he did it. Tony Norman has a great column in the Pittsburgh-Post Gazette discussing Simpson's motives in confessing now. He also thinks Simpson did it.

2 comments:

  1. Re OJ: He may have been acquitted on the criminal charges, but he was found responsible in the civil case! (the scum)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's really amazing to me how concerned old white men in state and federal legislatures are with women's sex lives. Look at all the states in the South that are outlawing all "marital toys" including "vibrating condoms" and stuff like that. Most of that stuff it aimed at giving women pleasure. So, they are outlawing it.

    I wish there could be some huge backlash against FOX and all those people for the OJ thing. But, there won't be. O'Reilly is actually claiming that FOXNews and FOX network aren't related at all. I'm sure lots of people believe him.

    Oh and the woman who is publishing this book works for News Corp also. She is also the woman who while preaching to people on her radio show about how Democrats have no moral values was having an affair with Bernie Kerik. And she is the one who published the Swift Boat books and all the anti-Clinton books.

    Ok, I'll stop rambling now.

    ReplyDelete