Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Jenn's Adventures in Open Source Land

But first... There is something satisfying about seeing a vehicle parked across from the Pittsburgh Parking Court get a ticket.

If someone had told me five years ago that I would spend my days in front of a computer testing prototypes, I would have laughed at him. If someone had told me that I would spend hours of my time trying to find an open source emulator for a Macintosh host, I would have asked where he got the pot he just inhaled.

And yet, five years later, instead of earning an MLS and retreating to the bookish world of librarian ship*, I find myself spending an obscene amount of free trying to hunt down an open source emulator just so I can install an obscure, open source operating system on my iBook for the express purpose of learning how to use it – for work.

Some days I wake up and don't recognize myself.

*Caveat: Librarians, especially modern librarians are anything but bookish. There is a reason for the “hot librarian” fantasy. Smart women are sexy.

1 comment:

  1. Indeed; I'm friends with a librarian who plays trumpet in a local brass band and runs marathons. One of his co-workers is also something of a middle-aged jockette her own self, plus -- my favorite thing about her -- she has a tattoo on her calf of a scene from one of her favorite children's books!

    (And once knew an MLIS student at Texas who liked...oh, wait; I better not talk about that in front of the children.)

    ReplyDelete