Monday, August 06, 2007

Someone Stop Me...

... from wrapping my weak, crooked little fingers around a co-worker's neck and marshaling supernatural strength to throttle my victim into submission.

I am not the most patient person in the universe, but over the years I have managed to develop a touch of self control whilst earning the paycheck that keeps the three felines in kibble and the two humans of the household in fun money. Since my return from vacation, the absolute insanity and sheer incompetence of some of my co-workers has sent me into a silent, sulking fury.

Where to begin? With the aforementioned co-worker who failed to lock up prototypes over the weekend? This same employee, who can not be bothered to spend 10 minutes looking up whether the lab possesses a piece of software and wastes half a day downloading it? Who, when asked to remove the battery from a laptop to verify the model, also unplugs the power supply, thus losing several hours of work? That lunch occasionally includes a stop in one of the nearby bars?

Or should I move onto the two co-workers who are having a close friendship and have somehow managed to convince themselves that no one notices how friendly they are to each other. No, no one notices when they arrive and leave at the same time, every day. No one notices when I ask worker A if vacation includes visiting relatives in a distance place and worker B (whose vacation overlaps worker A's time off) mentions that a few days was spent in that same place. No one notices that worker B has repeatedly slipped and and said “we” in reference to various extracurricular and life activities. Some days, after watching them, I have to slip off to the restroom and make sure that invisible gremlins did not tattoo S.T.U.P.I.D on my forehead.

So far the 1000+ meters I have been swimming after work has done very little to reduce my impatience with the very small numbers of humanity I have to interact with every day. And drowning my sorrows in tequila is not the most constructive use of my time.

Some days I think I have been transported into Peyton Place.

1 comment:

  1. I love it when co-workers think they're being sooooo secretive, yet everyone knows what's going on. I always play along with them and when one of them finally admits it I act all surprised and shit.

    Just like I'm going to pretend to be soooooo surprised one month after Bush leaves office when he announces he and Laura are getting a divorce and he's marrying Condi Rice. ;-)

    ReplyDelete