Sunday, July 13, 2008

Ends and Odds

Fact about Pennsylvania I did not know until today: PA has more wooden roller coasters than any other state in the US. Fifteen to be exact.

I have nothing right now. I'm in that limbo time between jobs, waiting out the end of my notice at my current position, secretly disappointed that my employer decided not to shorten my two weeks. My fantasy of flying off to Madrid on a whim will remain unfulfilled. Or returning to Paris and trying to rent one of the VĂ©lib' bicycles I saw workers installing last year and did not get an opportunity to try because the program was launched the day after I left.

There has been great drama in the city of Pittsburgh, in the form of the imminent sale of the Steelers to an investor outside the Rooney family. Reassuring articles profiling the buyer (a long-time Steelers fan with Pittsburgh roots) not withstanding, the general consensus in Pittsburgh is that 3 of the 5 brothers are greedy, selfish individuals who value making money (from racetracks and gambling) above tradition (the Rooney's have owned the team since 1933) who have seriously disappointed their long deceased, still beloved (by fans) father.

1 comment:

  1. It always happens that way. The kids are always all about the money while the dad was all about building a great organization and winning.

    Same thing happened a few years ago with the Busch family in St. Louis and the Cardinals.

    ReplyDelete