Monday, July 27, 2009

My parents were in the city over the weekend, to see Til Death Do Us Part: Late Nite Catechism 3. J and I met them at Six Penn Kitchen (home of a killer lobster macaroni and cheese dish that I have yet to try with the lobster) for brunch on Sunday morning.

Brunch began as the breezy and fun meal it is supposed to be late on a Sunday morning. Dad ordered an espresso and a green pepper stuffed with various meats, mom an iced tea and cheesecake stuffed french toast. J voted for coffee and an omelet stuffed with various meats while I opted for decaffeinated tea (served loose in a press pot), fresh orange juice, huevos rancheros and a side order of the macaroni and cheese*.

Remarks were made on my very gradual weight gain (I'm still in most of my regular clothing and only appear pregnant to those in the know), as gaining weight gradually is supposed to be less stressful on the body, lead to less weight gain overall, easier loss of weight post-pregnancy and, as told to me by my father-the-expert on such things, fewer and lighter stretch marks. Oohs and aahs were expressed over the twelve week ultrasound photos. An update on the Perkins restaurant that burned down several weeks ago was given.

This discomfort began once the details of the meal had been settled. J's mom wants to throw me a baby shower, an announcement that the majority of my female friends, knowing and sharing my deep aversion to showers bridal, baby and otherwise, greeted with much hilarity and the promise to present me with some highly inappropriate gifts to keep my spirits up during the execution of the event**.

As the alien I will be expelling is number six in a line of grandchildren on J's side and the first for my parents, it felt only appropriate and correct that my mom get first crack at torturing her daughter in the fashion of a baby shower. Except that, as carefully as I phrased the question, I could not find a way of explaining myself without sounding mercenary and made my mother very uncomfortable, as it had not occurred to her to think about hosting a baby shower.

As J and I have been trolling Craigslist in recent weeks for gently used infant clothing, a second hand crib made within the past three years, a second hand stroller and other baby related items, it was frustrating to come across as an individual who was begging for stuff. The only new items we intend to purchase are the breast pump, the infant car seat and the mattress for the crib. We are not assuming that anyone will providing us with anything.

After mom made it clear that she was more than willing to pass the shower honor on to J's mom, the conversation turned to our future plans.

J has a very bad habit of asking, in an audible undertone, if we should share information in front of the very people that I may want to withhold information from, at least in the short term. Over the years, I have gotten better at explicitly telling J to avoid certain topics of conversation, but once in a while an item will slip and he has never caught onto the concept

Such as the fact that I am seriously considering staying home.

My mom, who quit working when I was twelve to stay at home, did not approve. At all. And argued against it. My explanation, that out of the two choices, living with less money stressed me out less than the thought of the getting the alien bathed, fed and to/from daycare while holding down a full-time job, did little to appease her. J's explanation that I would be doing unpaid work for a friend part-time appeased her a little, but not much. All the contingencies J insists on putting into place to ensure that I get out of the house did little to appease her.

I shrugged her objections off, only to have them come back to haunt me at 4:30 in the morning. By the time J got up I was in tears and anxious.

And J was he gentle blunt self. “When have you honestly felt like you mom really supported you?” he asked me in the kitchen, after my bout of histrionics.

“Rarely” I replied.

“There's your answer. Do what makes you happy”.

*The ability to order an enormous amount of food without commentary is one of the few remaining prerogatives a pregnant woman has these days, after being denied lunch meat (including roast beef), sushi, rare steak, various cheeses, most seafood, chocolate, beer/wine and caffeinated beverages. And it is a prerogative that is slipping away as the media becomes increasingly enamored in shaming pregnant women for completely natural weight gain.

I also feel compelled to go on record and state that I did not finish all that food and took the rest home. The rest of the huevos made an excellent Sunday evening dinner and the macaroni and cheese is tonight's meal.

**A flask was mentioned. A full one. With wine. As for why I am opting to go through this particular torture, I may not be mercenary, but I'm also not a fool.

No comments:

Post a Comment