Friday, July 31, 2009

Role Reversal

I fully expected to receive some push back on my declaration that this will be the one and only child J and I will be having. Surprisingly, there has been far less than I had anticipated, although that may very well change this weekend as we are attending a family picnic hosted by J's cousin, none of who are shy about expressing their opinion on how we should be conducting our life.

I did not expect J to receive as much push back as he seems to be getting right now, and it surprised me. J is irritated, he has had far too many conversations in the past several weeks with co-workers who absolutely refuse to accept that maybe the two of us have a pretty good grasp, after nine and a half years of marriage, of where our collective limitations end. To wit, they end with one child.

The pattern of the conversation is always the same. J mentions an alien is gestating, coworker responds with an exposition on the joys of parenthood. This is followed up by an interrogation on our current parental status, continued with statements on how eager the two of us will be to have another once the first is past the helpless alien stage. J responds that we intend to have one child. Coworker counters with the classic “you will change your mind”. J, unable to make himself walk away at this point, proceeds to explain all the logical reasons (time, money, resources, overpopulated planet, I don't want another child and hate being pregnant). Coworker dismisses explanations as the lunatic ravings of a nervous, first time father. The fact that I have no desire or intention to go through the experience again does not enter into the coworkers consciousness as a legitimate reason.. After all, once married, ownership of my reproductive organs passes onto my husband. I'm just the safe holding the goods. J gets to decide how the goods are used.

J shuts these conversations down by explaining that I have a history of depression, pregnancy has been far more difficult on me than he had anticipated and that he has no intention of putting me through such an experience again. Coworker shuts up.

Not wanting to be pregnant again? Not a reason. Not wanting your already crazy wife to become even crazier. Perfectly acceptable, after all there are children involved.

No comments:

Post a Comment