Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Five Weeks

The older I become the more that I am convinced of the studies that suggest that some illness is an immune system stress response. Throw up on a bus, wake up two days later with a head cold and no access to any of the OTC medications I regularly use to ease the symptoms at night.

Take diphenhydramine (benadryl) instead the midwives suggest, as the primary side effect (drowsiness) should be enough to knock me out so I can sleep. And if that does not work, call the center and they will write a prescription for a sleep aid. I can't take an OTC decongestant, but I can take an Ambian?

The diphenhydramine works. I take a half dose and nearly lose the pill, so tiny and clear that it falls from the blister pack and blends in with the wood of the dresser. While I wait for it to take effect J wipes down the walls and moves the furniture around, trying to make the room more comfortable. In half an hour I am fighting to stay awake and my dreams go from color to black and white and are disappointedly mundane.

I elect to skip a second dose in favor of elevating my head with a wedge pillow and running the vaporizer from the moment I get home to when I wake up in the morning. The felines like the new arrangement, little grey Lucy is especially fond of the wedge as it leaves her enough room to sleep above my head, paws occasionally kneading at my head. The other two have started sleeping at my feet, one on each side and hanging out on the bed and chair during the day. Lucy elects to split her daytime sleeping hours between the car seat and the crib.

Between three cats, a husband and my enlarged size, there is little room to turn over at night.

The head cold lingers, all week. Lingers through the decontamination of the scarf and bag, through dragging myself up and out of bed every morning, head and belly aching. I drop things. Thermometer, keys, clothes. A mint M&M rolls underneath the bookcase. I shrug my shoulders and leave it there.

 A (male) friend tries to improve my spirits over my enlarging size by sending me stories and photographs of supermodels currently in the stages of late pregnancy and early postpartum period (1). I find Gisele Bundchen beautiful but the photographs of her irritating (2) and Heidi Klum awe-inspiring, with her 45 pound pregnancy weight gain and the fact that she looks, four weeks after birth, like a woman who recently had a baby, even after dropped 25 pounds.

It lingers through the weekend, while I try put together a white chili to freeze for later. I can not locate the can opener. I have to call J, away for the weekend helping my brother and sister-in-law move, and ask him where it is. It broke, he says. Some plastic part fell off of it. He threw it into the recycling bin. I fish it out. It works just fine.

It lingers through today, as I drag myself out of bed to face another day, quietly reminding myself that I am slowly inching towards the end of this journey. While my head is marginally clearer, I feel slightly nauseated from eating too much yesterday and realize that I will have to go back to the hobbit-esque eating habits of eight months ago.

(1)Yes, my friend has a weird sense of humor. His point is that even supermodels achieve orca-like proportions while pregnant, so fretting about my size is really stupid in light of the fact that I'm actually on target for “acceptable” gain based on my height, starting weight and BMI.

(2) Not because she is six inches taller, 30+ pounds lighter and seven years younger than myself, thus able to carry the excess weight in an attractive manner, but because she is married to Tom Brady, the Patriots quarterback. I'm more of a Steelers fan than I thought. Most Steelers fans can not stand anything to do with the New England Patriots, primarily because the insistence of most national sports media on referring to them as “America's Team” when there exists an enormous, world-wide Steelers diaspora that puts the Patriots fans to shame and routinely goes unacknowledged.

No comments:

Post a Comment