Wednesday, December 02, 2009

Too Many Days

Less than four weeks. I'm uncomfortable, cranky and offering myself up as a willing guinea pig for any person willing to cast any sort of voodoo spell that will shorten the end of the alien's gestation.

I'm not willing to put up with too anything from anyone. After almost 36 weeks of restraint, my mother decided to pull out the clichés during a post-Thanksgiving dinner conversation and was promptly smacked down. In the defensive, injured air put on by any individual who knows better, but goes ahead and does it anyway, she protested that she had exercised restraint over the past 35 plus weeks. I pointed out to her that if she had been successfully able to hold her tongue for over 35 weeks, four more should have been easy.

Last week, for the first time in my life, I yelled at a healthcare provider. Concerned that I might be leaking amniotic fluid, I called the midwives, who squeezed me in for an appointment for an internal exam and to take a specimen. The nurse who examined me neglected to mention that because of the potential risk of infection, she would be unable to use any lubrication or that I might be “extra sensitive” until after I started yelling at her while on the table.

She was apologetic about the incident. Which soothed my feelings, but not my poor parts, which ached for the rest of the week. The leakage turned out to be a false alarm,

I feel subtle changes. I'm getting sweaty. The migraines, which never went away completely, have increased to their pre-pregnancy level of intensity and duration. Tylenol is completely ineffective as is the only other cure available to me right now – a solid night of sleep. And the nausea of the first 20 weeks has returned, in a slightly more manageable form.

The first of now weekly checkups came with a list of instructions. When to call the midwives – if I have another full blown migraine(1) or my water breaks. What to do if I start early labor near bedtime – call the midwife and take a Benadryl(2) to get some sleep.

My crankiness has increased since I started this post, three days ago. I feel incredibly isolated, angry and lonely right now and acting in ways that are highly counterproductive, such as isolating myself even further so I don't act out against the undeserving, including J. Who feels the tension and anger anyway and has responded by inviting a bunch of our friends over to our home on Saturday to watch the Penguins/Blackhawks game. It is the correct thing to do – I'm too uncomfortable to go out for extended periods of time at this point and I need to socialize with other people.

Too many days left.

(1) It is interesting to observe what healthcare professionals will freak out about. I've had several migraines over the course of this pregnancy, just of a lower level of pain and shorter duration, mild enough that it never occurred to me to mention them. Especially since not every woman experiences a cessation in migraine activity during pregnancy. I mentioned the headache because I was curious if it acted as a precursor to labor, a sign that my hormone levels were returning to a non-pregnant state. From the midwife's point of view, it was an indicator of something more serious.

(2) I had no idea how many off label uses there were for Benadryl until I got sick in the past month.

No comments:

Post a Comment