Wednesday, December 16, 2009

The Good, the Bad, the Ugly

Summary: J and I are now proud (and sleep deprived) parents. Our child, L, was born on Saturday afternoon, at 3:58pm.

The Bad: Labor. The whole thing. From the membranes breaking on Friday at 11:30 in the morning while I was at work, to the drive to the birth center, to the back-and-forth from birth center, to hospital, to birth center and finally back to the hospital over the course of 28 hours.

Highlights included witnessing the driver of an 18 wheeler do a u-turn in the middle of Stanwix street,  denting the guardrail and nearly taking out a convention center support beam and several cars, vehicles driving the wrong way up Penn Avenue and two trips to the hospital, the first to assess why my blood pressure had become so unstable and to do an ultrasound, the second as a formal transfer, as my contractions never developed any rhythm due to L flipping to a posterior position (aka “back labor”) and I was dilating too slowly to remain safely at the center.

The Good: The hospital staff, from the anesthesiologist who applied the epidural and took the time to explain not only what he was doing, but how and why, the midwife and hospital nursing staff who worked together to prevent a knife-happy OB/GYN from forcing me to have a cesarean section and J, who hid his fear and anxiety until after L was born.

Surgeons were consulted on L's positioning. Nurses not assigned to the labor stopped by to offer suggestions and moral support. The neo-natal unit was called down to take L at birth to ensure that he was healthy. I can confidently say that I would not have made it without their support and care.

The Ugly: J's parents showing up while I was in labor and in no shape to see anyone, in total and complete disregard of my previously and repeatedly expressed wishes that they stay home until otherwise instructed. J's parents do not handle hospitals well. They came into the room to make themselves feel better and I found myself wasting time and energy trying to reassure his mother that I was OK. I finally quietly and politely asked them to leave the room.

My parents also showed up in defiance of my previously expressed wishes. I took their arrival slightly better, if only because both of my parents are nurses and they know how to behave in such situations. They stayed only five minutes and I did not have to ask them to leave.

That it took two people, a surgeon and the midwife over thirty minutes to stitch me back up.

That J's sister showed up with her husband and children (against the express wishes of the hospital that children under the age of 12 remain at home) in the maternity ward at 8:00pm (visiting hours end at 8:30pm), after being told by J's parents that both of us were exhausted and NOT to visit us on Saturday. Her explanation? That they were “too busy” to come visit on Sunday, Saturday was more convenient for them. J refused to allow them into the room and the family went home angry because they were not permitted to see me or hold L, and complained to J's parents about how unwelcome they felt.

For the record, this is the same sister who was offended when I stopped her from touching my stomach.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you delivered J safely. I remember those early, exhausting days. If you need any moral support, just drop me an email (foilwoman at gmail, you know). Wishing you well, a healthy baby, and a speedy recovery.

    ReplyDelete