Thursday, January 12, 2006

Ouch

Now that it is the depths of winter (and 50 F outside) I thought I would indulge in a little rant of one of the downsides of cold weather.

Dry Skin.

I'm not talking about ordinary dryness. I'm talking about itching, burning, heat producing dryness. I'm talking about the enormous patches of ugly red scales that have blossomed inside my right arm, across my chest and down my left arm, with a detour across my abdomen.

I'm beyond miserable at this point. I can not bend my right arm properly. I itch all the time. The nickel in the button on my jeans is making my stomach burn. My thighs and underarm itch also.

There does not seem to be any relief in sight. I use one of the world's most mild detergents - All Free Clear. Free! No dyes or fragrance. I don't use fabric softener. My lotions are low-alcohol, my soaps are glycerin, my deodorant is Dove. What more do I have to do to be comfortable in my own skin? Baby oil has not helped. Soaking in oatmeal has had a marginal effect. I've resorted to sleeping in an old cotton t-shirt so my skin does not irritate further. It is so bad that I am scratching myself in my sleep.

Help!

No comments:

Post a Comment