Monday, August 14, 2006

Breakup

My best friend for the past 14 years broke up with me today. Via email.

J and I were planning on attending her children's baptism on Sunday. Instead I received an email with the subject line "Don't Bother" and a request that I stay away from the baptism since I don't "seem interested in anything to do with her children" and that she does not want it to be another "inconvenience" for me.

In the past year I have had to deal with: debilitating migraines, uncomfortable and embarrassing tests for cervical cancer, almost losing my job, my in-law's and their extended family going batshit insane, my parents decision to re-enact scenes from The Days of Wine and Roses, my father's prostate cancer, my brother's wedding and the stresses that go along with being married.

She is absolutely correct. I have not shown much interest in her children in the past year. I've been too interested in putting the inconveniences of my health, my marriage and my family ahead of her children. Shame of me for being so selfish.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

4 comments:

  1. Good grief! I think I would send her an email back with all that in it and then tell her to .. well, be nice I guess. haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. She can't have shown much interest in YOU for the past year, if she doesn't understand what you've been through. Some friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Jenn . . . I'm sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never even heard of breaking up with adult friends. It seems so junior high like. Hopefully, she just had a really, really bad day and a moment of insanity that she will regret and make amends for.

    ReplyDelete