Monday, December 18, 2006

I Have Nothing to Say

Seriously. I've been so tired the past week that I'm falling asleep at 9:30 pm. It is not as it there has not been interesting things occurring in the past week. I've just been too tired to write about it.

In the past week I've managed to fight off an ambush to our holiday plans, learn how “yinzer” some of our friends are and been thrown into managing a project at work with absolutely no experience, without a raise in pay.

The ambush came from J's family last weekend, when we went down to spend the day. J forgot to tell me that he had told his parents we would be spending Christmas Eve and day in our home. When his mom started making assumptive statements about our attendance at dinner, I lied and told her we were going to my parents.

Whoops.

The ambush continued at lunch, with J's sister urging me to drop our New Year's eve plans and drive to Latrobe to have dinner with them instead. I lost track of the number of times I explained that...
  1. We already had dinner reservations.
  2. With eight other people.
  3. At 9 pm.
  4. As we have done for the past five years.
  5. And no, we were not changing them.
Later in the week we learned how “yinzer*” one couple we socialize with is when they decided (after we had made the reservation) to forgo dinner and watch the final Steeler game of the season. Because the Steelers might still be in the running for the playoffs. And it could be Bill Cowher's last game. And a true fan obsessively watches every damn game, even when they have HD cable television and a DVR recorder.

And just to round the week out my boss resigned. Effective December 22. In order to cover her projects, I have been thrown into managing a small project passed off from a co-worker with no experience communicating with clients and only a fourth of a clue as to what I am doing.

And I still have to make cookies.

*A “yinzer” in this context is a stereotypical Pittsburgh native who also happens to be a rabid Steelers fan. “Yinz” is a contraction of “you ones” thus taking bad grammar to a whole new level never imagined by William Safire.

No comments:

Post a Comment