Friday, December 01, 2006

Poor Dennis Prager

Lamenting on Headline News about how he has not had a chance on eat in the past two days because he has been making the rounds of the talk shows.

Poor Dennis Prager (1), so offended because Keith Ellison, the first Muslim elected to Congress, has requested a Qur'an instead of a Bible when taking the oath of office for the United States House of Representatives.

Prager's only argument against using the Qur'an to take the oath of office is 'tradition'. Apparently every member of Congress ever, including Jewish and atheists, have laid their hand on “the most revered book in American history (2)” to take the oath of office.

I hate to taint my blog by linking to Prager's post at Town Hall or WorldNetDaily, but in the interest of fair and balanced discourse, I will grit my teeth this once. In the further interest of full disclosure, I must admit that I stopped taking him seriously after the phrases "because the act undermines American civilization" and the implication that taking the oath of office on the Qur'an was the moral equivalent of allowing a racist to use Mein Kempf (3).

Common sense dictates that if an American citizen is permitted a choice of holy books (the Bible, the Torah, the Qur'an) when taking an oath in court, then the choice of holy book used when taking an oath to upload the Constitution of the United States should be irrelevant.

(1) Yes, I am aware that Prager is Jewish.

(2) I respectfully disagree with this statement and posit the theory that the most revered book in American History is, in fact, Mark Twain's Huck Finn.

(3) For the love of all that is sacred, learn how to write or get an editor! Kill the hyperbole and remember that a book title, such as Mein Kampf is underlined, not placed in "quotations."

1 comment:

  1. I'm Xtian and if I ever get sworn in, I'll prolly take a civil oath. Render unto Caesar, anyone?

    ReplyDelete