Monday, November 05, 2007

Updates

National Novel Writing Month

The Bad News: It is only five days into the month and I am all ready seriously behind on my word count.

The Good News: I am having a total blast writing this and have consciously decided NOT to worry about the word count. It has been almost ten years since I had this much fun writing something longer than a blog entry. The last time I felt this kind of creative joy was graduate school. I know why I gave it up for so long – I was terribly burned out when I finished my M.A and needed a break. But I wish I had not taken such a long break.

Attack of the Email Fascists

I honestly can not stand most of my coworkers right now.

As I have alluded previously, I spent the last four weeks working insane (for me) hours. Three of the four weeks were spent in training and actually doing all the PM duties. The fourth and final week was spent catching up on all the testing that was not completed because I was, um, managing the project.

It was, hands down, four of the most hellish weeks I have ever spent in any organization's employ. Which is saying something as I have quit jobs, with nothing else lined up, for working conditions that were downright intolerable. The coke fiend of an assistant manager comes to mind.

It was not the plethora of meetings, with no advance notice, I discovered I had to attend in the absent Project Manager's stead. Or the lectures on why I needed to be up to speed on hours/defect rate for the project (I had no idea). Or the questions about planning out the resources for the week, which were supposed to be handled by someone else so I could squeeze in some testing. Or the statement “I expected you to have more testing completed before my return.” Or even the realization that I had all of the responsibility and none of the authority necessary to compel other testers to do their job, leading to a mind numbing, pain inducing thirty minute conversation with one tester on why it was necessary to run an additional set of tests to confirm a defect.

It was the email. The constant reminders to select “Reply All” and carbon copy an entire lab on an issue that should be an A/B conversation. It was the hundreds of project emails I had to wade through every day. It was the smug sucking up on the part of one coworker every time it came up that email had been used improperly.

Today, after remembering to notify and copy the correct parties on my planned tasks before leaving on Friday, I received a snide note from my manger about making sure I kept everyone informed on a response from what I thought was an A/B conversation. This came on the heels of a painful fall on the way to the bus stop this morning, one that resulted in torn jeans, a bloody and bruised knee and no time to return home and change. It was unwarranted and misdirected, as the manager was taking out his anger towards several project managers on me. Because they did not keep him “in the loop”.

Thanksgiving cannot come fast enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment