Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Purple Room

Things I wondered about over the course of today:

Why did the woman in the long black coat and even longer pink plaid scarf refuse to move towards the back of the bus? Or even move her body out of the way enough so that some of the riders jammed three deep ACROSS at the front of the bus could get back to stand where there was more space? And why did she choose to take up that same amount of space near the front door as people were trying to get OFF the bus?

Why did two of my co-workers decide to shut down all three servers I was using for testing without asking me first if I was finished? For the record, no I was not.

Why did the two woman sitting behind me on the bus on the way home have such a fascination with Britney Spears and the rumor that she is pregnant again? I'm not sure what I found more offensive – that they were so interested in the life of someone they would not recognize if they walked into her or that they were so ******* judgmental about it.

Why is my current favorite song Thomas Dolby's I Love You Goodbye?

Random questions aside, it was announced today that my office would be closed from December 24 through January 1. The other labs will be closed as well, giving all employees seven days in which to enjoy the holiday season.

Some, including my manager, are annoyed as the scheduling of the company holiday was not done according to policy, which requires a week's notification in advance for each day off. Although the policy applies primarily to employees who request vacation time, there is an unwritten expectation that employees are extended the same courtesy. While the holiday is welcome news, several employees scheduled vacation for later in the month of January and others do not have enough time accrued to cover four of the seven days (the remaining three are previously scheduled holidays). Employees who do not have enough time can either take the holiday unpaid or go into the hole and stop accruing vacation time until the debt is paid off.

I have the time available, although it makes planning my trips in late May and late September trickier then originally anticipated. But I can not complain, as this break means I have taken close to five weeks of vacation in the calendar year.

My only concern now is keeping this information away from J's family so they don't schedule my time.

As for the purple room, J painted our living room walls deep purple.

When I hooked the camera up to download the photographs of the living room wall, I discovered this:

2 comments:

  1. That purple is gorgeous, Jenn! And although I'm not a cat person, your cat looks quite regal on the white couch in front of the purple wall. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really love the purple also. It has changed the feeling of the room.

    As for Axel, I swear on my grandparent's grave that he is a dog in a cat's body and has converted many a non-kitty person to his cult, including J (who took the posted photo w/out my knowledge and has also been caught having long discussions with the cat on various topics).

    ReplyDelete