Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Small Swift Birds

I've had a lot to write about in the past several weeks. I've had a lot to write about and very little to say. Emotionally I am tired, numb and discovering that there is a limit to the amount of distressing information I can process at one time before I shut down.

I lost a friend to suicide two weeks ago. A second, untimely death in a period of three weeks. I lost my friend and I am having a difficult time mourning his loss. I'm having a difficult time thinking anything good about him, and I know that there was a great deal of good. He loved me like a younger sister and watched over me during the brief time I spent working in South Carolina ten years ago. He loved his adolescent son. He was incredibly literate and had a quick, sharp wit. He was self educated. He embraced J as his own and enthusiastically blessed our relationship.

He was also terribly flawed. At his worst, he was verbally abusive, emotionally intrusive and pushy. He had very little respect for other people's physical and emotional boundaries. He was stubborn, impulsive and self destructive. These flaws cost him his marriage and created a rift between himself and his son.

He tried to seek redemption and make amends. To his ex-wife, to his child, to his friends. It was not enough. The trauma of unemployment, of near homelessness, of debt, of estrangement from his son, of a million other things he never talked about, it wore him down and wore him out.

There has been no explanation for how he died, no invitation to his memorial service. On some level his siblings blame his friends for his death. Because we should have know he was clinically depressed. We should have known he stopped taking his medication in September and ceased meetings with his therapist. His family knew the signs, why didn't we?

We did not. So my friend left, like a small swift bird. One day we looked, and could not find him anywhere.

2 comments:

  1. I've often heard that suicide is the ultimate selfish act, and I have to agree. It leaves friends and families searching their souls, wondering what they could have done, what signs they might have missed. I have had some experience with the suicide of someone close, and I can tell you that there was nothing we could have done and probably no signs to pick up on. It is just one of the cruelest most thoughtless things a person can do to his friends and family. I'm still mad at him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Betty, you have pretty much hit on how I feel at this point. I'm mad at him. Mad enough that I'm incapable of comforting his friends or his family because I don't feel as if HE deserves it.

    ReplyDelete