Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Fleury, Hallowed be thy Name

If a team ever won a game based on the sheer will of a single player, then the Penguins won last night's triple overtime based on the will of Marc-André Fleury.

There is nothing I can say that has not all ready been expressed by a multitude of sports writers, bloggers and casual fans. I was not planning on watching Game 5. I was going to read quietly and go to bed.

Instead I stayed up until after 1:00 AM, with friends, witnessing a game I only dreamed about seeing and could barely stand to watch. I could not stand to watch a shot by Hall Gill go astray and break Ryan Malone's nose. I could not stand the look in the eyes of the normally stoic Sergei Gonchar, sidelined to the bench by a back injury.

But I watched it. All of it. All 110 minutes of it. And I'll do it again tomorrow night.

3 comments:

  1. That was an incredible effort by the Pens. People who aren't sports fans just don't understand how incredible the human drama of sports really is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, Jay. It also warmed my heart that a lunch pail kind of guy would score the tying goal. It reminded me of a goal Phil Bourque scored in Game 1 of the 1992 finals. Talbot even looked a bit like Phil.

    But I agree, Jen, that Fleury was the man of the hour. And even though they lost game 6, I think game 5 will live in my memory for many years to come.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lou (and Jay)

    Fleury was stone cold amazing in Game 5 and put to rest any lingering doubts that he could not make it as a franchise goalie.

    And yes, it was fantastic to see Max Talbot score that goal.

    ReplyDelete