Sunday, June 01, 2008

My Finals Experience

Was marred by Mellon Arena's decision to arbitrarily enforce their “no cameras with lens greater than 3 inches” policy. I was not permitted to enter the arena with the camera, so J returned it to the car and sought out an official who clarified that enforcement was up to the discretion of security and that any camera that appeared “too professional” was not permitted in the arena.

This is the same camera I have been bringing into the arena for two years without issue. I am frustrated and disappointed that the lens of my camera, which meets NHL guidelines for amateur photography equipment at events*, was deemed a potential obstruction while fans carrying in full-sized cardboard + aluminum foil or blowup replicas of the Stanley Cup, large poster board signs and giant sized stuffed Penguins are given a pass. I am frustrated that the people who insist on standing, leaving or returning to their seats while the puck is in play are deemed not enough of an obstruction to warrant a confrontation with an usher, but my camera, which actually remains securely zipped in it's carrying case for 90% of the game, is an annoyance.

And to deem my camera as “too professional” would make the actual professional photographer who stood on the landing below us during the entire game, with her super telephoto zoom lens, laugh her ass off.

Then the Penguins had to go and make it worse by allowing the Red Wings to score a weak (it bounced OFF Fleury) go-ahead goal, thus giving the Detroit the motivation it needed to shut down the Penguins offense completely. The Penguins can learn a lot by studying Detroit's defensive plays. I predict that Detroit will wrap up the series at home Monday night and will be hoisting the Stanley Cup.

I'm OK with Detroit winning. They are a better, more experienced team. And Detroit fans are welcome back at Mellon Arena anytime. They did not boo our players, returned good natured taunting with the same and, most surprisingly, left the arena quietly at the end of the game. Although it may have been shock that kept them from openly celebrating.

*I know this because I looked up the guidelines and measured the fully extended lens before the Winter Classic.

2 comments:

  1. I keep getting incredibly frustrated by teams' rules about cameras. They are so concerned that somebody is going to record the game and post it on the net. That's just stupid. It would be impossible to watch anyway.

    I got into an argument with a guy at a Spurs game once over my camera. He said it wasn't allowed and gave the "it will bother other fans" line too. Then when I got inside I found that they had given each fan a set of those obnoxious "thunder sticks" AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH Those things completely ruin going to sporting events in person.

    The other thing that annoys me is it's almost impossible to get anyone to say whether or not a camera is allowed at all. I think I've talked to every single person at the Univ. of Arkansas Athletic dept and can't get any of them to say yes or no to freaking cameras. They're lucky I was talking to them on the phone cause I was ready to punch somebody.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also think Detroit will win now. If the Pens had scored during the second period--even a lucky goal--I think it could have been a turning point in the series. But I think it's too late now. I'm still hoping that the Pens win tonight though.

    ReplyDelete