Friday, July 21, 2006

Disaster

I should be getting out of a car right now. I should be standing in a line, waiting for TSA to check the bottoms of my shoes.

Instead I am at home. Both legs of my flight were cancelled due to Tropical Storm Beryl. I've been rescheduled on tomorrow's flights. Continental Airlines made no effort to place me on a different flight. The CSR tranferred me to the "international desk". Since I did not have 70 minutes to wait on the phone, I hung up.

I've moved my hotel reservation (that poor, poor clerk must have been ready to murder me) and now I sit, depressed and upset. I'm not confident that I am going anywhere right now, as the rain from the storm is supposed to hang around for several more days.

$1200.00 for a plane ticket, and this is what I get. No plane or trip.

5 comments:

  1. Now that sucks. I hope you are able to get out tomorrow. If not, can they just switch you to a flight to Asia? haha Or maybe just go to NYC?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope I can get out too. The plane I was supposed to take to Newark was tied up due to bad weather in Chicago, so it they could not put on a different flight because they did not have any planes.

    What really ticks me off is that this is how airlines get away with cancelling consumer flights due to "weather" for airports are not experiencing bad weather. The failure of Continental to have a plane in Pittsburgh available was due to BAD PLANNING, not bad weather. And I have no recourse.

    I'm not even sure if I'll have a hotel when I get there. I think the clerk moved my reservation to Sunday - but I'm not positive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you get out tomorrow. You must be stir crazy. I'd double check to make sure you are really reconfirmed on that flight. Airlines get screwy during times like this. Unless you fly a ton, then they typically take care of you. Life is unfair that way. I look forward to hearing about your tip.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jenn, you're absolutely right about the airlines and their bad planning. Most major airlines have worked from the same failed business model for decades. It's a complete disaster but they keep with it, no matter what. Just following the same failed policy over and over and over. I could go on all day.

    Best of luck tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Jenn, good luck with the flight! I have good vibes--I think you'll make it! And when you arrive, please do go to Cafe de Flore at 172 Blvd. St.-Germaine in Paris, sit upstairs in the non-smoking area with its lovely cream colored leather banquettes and wood paneled walls, and have the Welsh Rarebit and a nice glass of white wine . . . you won't be sorry! :)

    ReplyDelete