Monday, July 31, 2006

Paris Trip Part I - The FAA REALLY Hates Me

It took me 60 hours to land in Paris. Sixty hours in which I came to the conclusion that the FAA personally hates me. I also concluded that I will never fly through Newark Airport again. Next time I'll pay extra for a plane ticket through an airport in which all hell does not break lose when it rains.

At 11:30 Saturday morning I discovered that Continental cancelled my flights again. I called the 800 number and learned that the airline rescheduled me for Monday's flight. Since this was unacceptable, I asked to be transferred to the International division. A lovely woman by the name of Shondra arranged to have me fly through Detroit via Southwest and catch a connection to Newark at 6:30pm. I agreed to the arrangement as it was the only way to get to Newark that day. I called 5 minutes too late to get put on the last direct flight from Pittsburgh to Newark, and it is overbooked. She suggests I put myself on the standby list anyway.

And my troubles began...
  1. The last direct flight from Pittsburgh to Newark experiences a technical problem and cannot leave. Since I am on standby and the flight is overbooked, I take the Pittsburgh to Detroit flight.
  2. A Southwest gate agent pulls my original Continental Pittsburgh to Newark ticket. I protest, as I was told at the ticketing counter I needed to show that ticket in Detroit to get a boarding pass for the flight from Detroit to Newark. Continental agents in Newark are forced to hunt down a Southwest agent to print a FIM (Flight Interruption Manifest) so I can get on the plane to Newark.
  3. The flight from Newark, originally scheduled to leave at 5:25pm, then delayed until 6:30pm is delayed until 7:30pm. At 7:30pm, the flight is delayed for another hour. I become upset and am comforted by a total stranger and the pilot of the plane. We do not take off until 8:45 pm. I ask a ticket agent while boarding if it is possible to hold the plane. She says that they will know I am coming.
  4. Upon reaching Gate 111, at roughly 10:10pm the pilot repeatedly attempts to radio the Agents at Gate 74 to hold closing the gate so I can make the flight. The agents do not respond. I run almost ½ a mile through the airport to attempt to catch the plane. When I am told by one agent I must speak to an agent at the counter and not to block the closed door. The plane is still attached to the gate. The counter agent attempts to ignore me. When it becomes apparent that I am not planning on going away, she radios the agent at the end of the gateway with the statement "Were not taking any more people on this flight" and receives an affirmative. She rudely instructs me to go talk to Customer Service and will not speak to me after that.
  5. I stand in line for almost four hours to see a CSR to get my new flight information. While in line I meet a couple named Clark and Rosalind, from Austin, Texas. After four hours I take the International 800 number and attempt to call for my new flight schedule. The automated system informs me, at various times, that it will take 15, 110, 61 and 50 minutes to speak to a CSR. We are also told that are baggage will remain checked and be put on our new flight.
  6. I meet up with Clark and Rosalind again around 3am. They are still trying to find a hotel room for the night. I learn that among the stranded International passengers (and there are many, many passengers) is a 17 year old German girl named Pia. She is traveling alone and does not have enough money for a hotel. Clark and Rosalind ask if I would be interested in sharing a room. I agree. Rooms at the airport Sheraton are located.
  7. While waiting for the tram to take us to the hotel shuttles, I run into the pilot from the Detroit/Newark flight. He reiterates that the agents never responded to any of his attempts. When I tell him that I was not allowed on the plane because the flight was closed, he says (and I quote) "that is bullshit". He also suggests that I write a letter. I make it to the hotel and fall asleep at 4am.
  8. Upon landing at Charles De Gaulle Monday morning (I took the 6:15pm flight Sunday) I attempt to claim my luggage. And discover that it is lost. Not just a little bit lost, as in coming on the next plane. Lost as in Continental has no idea where it is located.
Note: At this point I have been wearing the same clothing for 50 hours.

I fill out a claims form, hail a cab to the hotel and take a bath. I have no energy left and cry myself to sleep. Later, resigned to a week in Paris without my clothing, I purchase 2 pairs of underwear, a set of disposable razors, shaving cream, two shirts and a skirt.

The airline locates my luggage and delivers it to me at 8:30pm Monday evening.

Breakdown of charges in the 60 hour detour:
  1. Hotel room for myself and an unaccompanied 17 year old girl: $162.00.
  2. Cost to hold my hotel reservation in Paris for two nights: $141.92
  3. Disposable razors: 6.42 Euro ($8.14).
  4. Shaving cream: .99 Euro ($1.26).
  5. Skirt: 15 Euros ($19.03).
  6. 2 shirts: 14.80 Euro ($18.77).
  7. 2 pairs underwear: 5.98 Euro ($7.59)
Grand total of detour: $358.71.

Part II coming soon...

5 comments:

  1. Oh, Jenn . . . I am so, so, so sorry that the trip began this way for you. I am hoping against all hope that you're about to post about how Paris made it up to you with a wonderful experience. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. BUT YOU'RE IN PARIS! THE CITY OF LIGHT! :P (i hate paris)

    seriously, though, sorry you had a rough travel experience jenn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry you went through all that Jenn. You have some great stories to tell now! THAT is what makes vacations memorable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How tragic. I am glad you finally made it. Please tell me Part II of your trip went more smoothly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, at least you finally made it and you got your luggage back. What a hassell though. There is NO WAY I would have been nice to anyone at the airline!

    You should take all of this and join all travel sites and post this info. Fucking airlines! I hate them all!

    ReplyDelete