Saturday, September 29, 2007

I am Completely Addicted

To the AMC series Mad Men. It is my new guilty pleasure. I can't help myself. I watched all the free episodes from On Demand. I actually caught myself thinking "Finally, a DECENT lineup of television on Thursday night" when it came on last night.

It is spectacularly sexist. All the men are philanderers. The woman are either sexual "predators", cusp-of-feminist-consciousness housewives or nascent versions of ball busting bitches. There are two closet homosexuals, some beat poets and vintage campaign commercials from John Kennedy and Richard Nixon thrown in for good measure.

In my defense, I am enduring my annual, early fall week of catch-a-virus and end-up-with-bronchitis. Which means I am restricted to the house, watching bad television and surfing the series of tubes when I am not at work. I can feel the fat cells expanding and my brain cells gasping for breath.

I'm also spending far more money then I should on 1. Books: Sin in the Second City, 2. iTunes: Michael Bublé, Annie Lennox, Feist* and Hem**, 3. Candy: Sarris turtles, chocolate covered pretzels and peanut butter melt-aways. My neighbor's daughter is raising money to go to New York City next spring. She has to raise $1,000. The average Sarris order is around $50.00. I think she'll make it after all.

Time to go. Showtime made the first season of Dexter available On Demand, gratis until October 4. Time to catch up on the series.

*Apparently Feist owns a flat in Paris, but never gets to spend time there. I would be more than happy to keep her flat company anytime.
**See. Too much television. I am purchasing music I hear on commercials.

1 comment:

  1. I saw a promo for Mad Men and thought it looked pretty good, but forgot about it. I'll probably catch up on it someday when they have a marathon.

    I need to get premium cable so I can get in on this on demand stuff. Is it cheaper than getting stuff on DVD from Netflix?

    ReplyDelete