Monday, October 29, 2007

Notes

Lesson Learned: Never wear my Penn State sweatshirt in Pittsburgh on a Saturday in the fall. People have trouble understanding why a person would wear the name of a big ten team emblazoned across a piece of clothing simply because it was the warmest item of clothing close at hand when dressing in the morning.

This is what I have done in the past couple of weeks:

Last Weekend
National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception, Washington D.C.


The National Shrine sits on the Campus of Catholic University. The lower part of the shrine has some truly amazing mosaics, pictorial representations of Mary from all over the world.

The upper part of the shrine, containing the church proper, is a different story. The area behind the alter is dominated by one of the kitchiest mosaic representations of Christ I have ever seen in my life. This is Jesus Christ sitting in the lotus position (or, as my BIL the priest calls it, the “Power” position) with flames shooting out of his head (in the shape of a cross) and a rainbow curving behind him.

Penguins at Capitals, Verizon Center, Washington D.C.

Great seats, great game and I witnessed Jordan Staal's first NHL fight. In which he was a most reluctant participant.


This Weekend

Saturday evening was spent trying home brew beer and watching the rain fall while wistfully dreaming of the bonfire, mountain pies and s'mores we would not be cooking that night. J unwittingly put his foot in his mouth when he remarked to the female half of a couple we know “Sometimes you just have to pick a fight,” unaware of the reason behind the couple's extremely late arrival – a fight.

Today was spent exploring the Eliza Furnace and Pittsburgh heritage trails.


1 comment:

  1. I learned the same lesson you did two years ago when I, without thinking, wore my Texas shirt the day I drove to Omaha, NE. Got lots of dirty looks and a few comments. LOL

    ReplyDelete