Sunday, April 27, 2008

This Was Supposed to be a Post About Girls in White Dresses...

Then hockey got in the way.

The Post Gazette sports writers and fans who have been following the Penguins have been providing some truly priceless exchanges between Penguins and Rangers players.

Exhibit Number 1
:
"I just told him I wanted to fight," Laraque said, shrugging. "I wanted to change the momentum."

Orr's response?

"He just said, 'C'mon, Georges, it's 3-0. I can't,' " Laraque said.

Exhibit Number 2:
“According to EN reader Nick Porto, Pierre McGuire, the NBC analyst stationed between the benches, said Sean Avery make a remark to Crosby near the benches during a television timeout. Hal Gill responded, "You know what? You just weren't hugged enough as a child. That's why you have issues."

----------------------------------------

I'm also realizing, for the sake of my sanity, that I am going to have to stop reading the New York Times Slapshot blog and sports articles, at least in the short term.

There is the sheer sexism in spelling Crosby's first name as "Cindy". The accusations that Crosby and Therrien are whiners. The (invalid) complaints about Crosby diving. All of these statements are familiar. All of them stem from fans who must resort to impugning a player's character because they have nothing legitimate to add to the conversation.

But sometimes, I wonder. Am I watching the same game? Do his detractors actually watch him play? Do they notice that the one thing Crosby does above all others is keep going? He never, ever stops moving when on the ice. He lowers his center of gravity when he curves around a net, protecting the puck. He constantly hones moves such as this in practice.

Which makes these latest accusations, coming from Straka (and Jagr) especially painful as I have great respect for the talent and work ethic of two men who contributed an enormous amount during their time with the Penguins.

My attire when attending Penguins games is an game-worn, autographed Martin Straka jersey. Straka is my favorite player, no matter what team he is a part of. But if this is how is going to chose to play the game - to act out from emotion instead of calling on his talent and skill to score goals and win games- then allow me to be the first to suggest that it is time for him to hang up his skates and for me to frame his jersey and place up on the wall. In a matter of seconds he managed to throw away the ten years worth of good will he built up as a member of the Penguins organization. The fans booed him when he stepped onto the ice today.

But whose fault is it, that I am disillusioned by a player I so admire? Mine, actually. I put Straka on the pedestal. I need to take him off it now.

And now, just for the sake of showing my intended post...

Without the blue satin sashes. With white patent leather shoes, white socks, white gloves and crowned with white flowers and veils.

Today was the first holy communion and confirmation of J's oldest niece. This is the second of three first communions I will be required to attended, as J's youngest niece will go through the ritual in another two years. And two years from now I will be disturbed, once again, by the girls in white veils.

I hate this custom. It burdens a group of eight year old girls with social and sexual connotations that they are too young to understand. Most of the parents have no idea about the symbolism behind the veil. They argue tradition without fully understanding why they are arguing in tradition's favor.

I was pleasantly surprised when J's brother, a priest, agreed with my objections, for essentially the same reasons. He also added an angle I had not thought of. Simple economics. Some families cannot afford to purchase such a dress (or suit) for a single occasion. Buying a nice outfit the child can wear to church or other occasions is less of a waste and prevents parents from turning a religious celebration into a competition.

2 comments:

  1. Penguin fans booed Jagr every single time he touched the puck in Saturday's game. I admire their sticktoitedness. Most fans get bored booing a player on the other team after a while. Not Pens fans. That was impressive. LOL

    We all know how hockey works. Straka will be a Penguin again in a few years and all will be right in the world again. Hell, even Jagr might come back. Okay, maybe not Jagr. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is odd that they've latched onto that accusation that Crosby isn't manly. I truly don't know where that comes from. Straka and Jagr really come from the same mold: skilled forwards who are more valuable on the ice than in the box.

    And I have to say, as I get older I wish there were some traditions in my life like first communion...even though I'm an atheist. There's something attractive about these age-old customs, even if they are full of arcane and twisted symbolism.

    ReplyDelete