Thursday, March 16, 2006

Blips on the Radar

I've started a novel project that should take me through the end of the year, possibly longer. Right now I'm in that stage called “research” since I want to make sure that my character is as authentic as possible.

Part of my research has been contacting athletes I knew in college to see if they are willing to talk to me about their sport. There is no experience so humbling as having someone NOT have any clue who you are. I always wondered how much of an impression I made on people. Now I know, not much of one for most.

Two of the three have agreed to talk to me. The third is reluctant, and rightfully so. He is still very much involved in the sport he played, and shows some concern that I want to use him for access. I would not dream of imposing on him in such a manner. As much as I would love to sit down and have a conversation with a couple of pro athletes, I don't have the journalistic credibility to make that happen, and I certainly am under no illusion that some guy I have not spoken to in 11 years is going to help me out.

That being said, I am very excited about this project. Until November first I will research, dream and plan. On November first I will join others for National Novel Writing Month and actually commit the thing to paper.

Beats television.

No comments:

Post a Comment