Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Can I Get Your Digits?

Said one of the skateboard rats to me as I walked home from my bus stop late this afternoon.

There is a little group of teenage boys who hang out on my street on sunny days. It does not have to be warm, just sunny. I have passed them many times on my walks home. This is the first time they have deigned to speak to me.

Is it my new haircut that drew their attention? The fact that I was thinking aloud, so my mouth moved a little bit and my thoughts were easily read by my facial expressions? The only thing I knew for sure was that three white boy skate rats pretending they grew up in the ghetto instead of a middle class almost suburban neighborhood.

“Hey” said one of the boys.
“Hello” I replied, and continued walking.

“Yo, can I get your digits” said the second.

“I'll take you to McDonald's” said the third.

I swung around and looked at the three of them. “McDonald's? My God, you are a cheap date” I exclaimed, and continued walking.

“Well, that's the point” one of them replied.

I could not help myself, I started to snicker. Snickering turned to giggling, giggling to open laughter. I was near tears when I walked through my front door.

Darling husband was equally entertained with my encounter.

No comments:

Post a Comment