Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Bradley's Book Cellar

The downtown branch of Bradley's, an independent book seller, closed sometime in the past month. I'm ashamed to admit that I don't know quite when, as I have been insanely busy between work and my current family crisis.

But closed it is, as the building that housed the store is being torn down (along with most of the block) to make way for a new development by PNC Financial Services Group. The owner searched for another space, but the sudden interest in redeveloping downtown Pittsburgh limited his options, and he was left with no choice but to distribute his stock between locations in Kaufmann's, Station Square and the Strip.

Bradley's was one of my favorite after-work haunts. To reach the store you had to walk down a set of stairs into a cellar, into a large, brightly light, musty smelling room. It was packed from front to back with shelves selling everything from remaindered hardbacks to de-accessed library books. The stock was standard fiction, non-fiction, books-on-tape and magazines that you could find at any big box retailer. The difference was the eclectic selection of material and cheap prices.

What made this Bradley's truly special was the reader's proofs. For less than $5.00 I could pick up a galley proof of a current bestseller. The downtown store was the only place in Pittsburgh I could find them.

The downtown Kaufmann's location is still open (sans cheap reader's proofs), but for how long is still up in the air. Kaufmann's is now Macy's in everything but name (which will be changed soon) and there is a distinct possibility the store will be closed.

1 comment:

  1. I hate to see places like this close . . . very sad. Recently, my favorite weekend brunch place "relocated" from its pink building with the leaky ceilings and enclosed patio. I'm sure the new location is much more shiny and new (I haven't been there yet), but I really miss the old place.

    ReplyDelete